Area News

Renters & Condo Insurance & What it Covers

If you are renting or own a condo, your insurance needs are uniquely different from a homeowner's policy. Some renters and condominium owners believe their possessions are covered by their landlord's/owner's insurance. This is rarely true. 

Typically, the landlord’s insurance covers loss or damage to their property, not yours. With Renters or Condo insurance, you can be covered for: 

  • Claims Expenses 
  • Injuries that occur inside your rental (Personal Liability) 
  • Replacement of stolen/damaged items (Personal Property)   
  • Personal items with special insurance needs (Scheduled Personal Articles) 

Additional Coverage for Condo Owners 

Specific to condo unit owners, coverages can be provided, on a replacement cost basis, for your appliances, fixtures, improvements, and alterations that are part of the building and contained within your residence. Separate structures owned solely by you at your location can also be covered.  

Additional coverages specific to Condo Insurance include:

  • Living expenses while your home is repaired (Loss of Use)  
  • Weather-related damages, vandalism, etc. (Named Perils) 

Will You Need Flood Insurance?  

Flood insurance is not commonly covered in your typical homeowner’s insurance policy, but is available to: 

  • Commercial owners/renters 
  • Condo owners 
  • Homeowners 
  • Renters 

Premiums vary widely and flood policies typically take effect 30 days after purchase. Contact us for assistance in obtaining flood insurance.

Related News